Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Fixing Our Eyes

Well, I made it. I'm finally a resident of Tennessee. While last week I savored every moment and every person I could from the last four years, I felt God nudge my spirit continually  in those last moments with my Little Rock family to "fix my eyes", not on the things I was leaving behind, yet relish in the things that were to come because of His working in and through my life over this life-changing step of the journey.
 
As I thought on "fixing my eyes", I was called to purpose. Belief. Clear direction. A direction that led me to these verses a beloved Texas mentor of mine shared that help fixate my focus:
 
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."  Hebrews 2:2
 
He did that for me.
He did that for you.
 
The truth is- all of us have  our eyes "fixed" on something (or someone)!  According to Webster, one definition of the word "fix" is:  "to hold steadily; to set or place definitely; to establish..."   I like to think it as the Deuteronomy 30 passage that tells us to "hold fast", to be glued to, to not let go.
 
I'm claiming Old and New Testament promises today, and perhaps you will too....as you long to fix your eyes on the only one who's worthy.
 
  "My eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign Lord; in You I take refuge..." 
Psalm 141:8
 
 "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."  2 Corinthians 4:17-18
 
We kmow that through Jesus, God has done something on the cross for us that we could never do for ourselves. Aren't you thankful for that?
 
So what are you FIXED on today? My prayer, for you, and for me, is that we may never boast in anything except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Galatians 6:14

No comments:

Post a Comment