Monday, May 6, 2013

What are you leaving?

Yesterday at the end of our worship time at Shoreline, we were introduced to a cute, funny video reminding us of a significant day that is just rolling around the corner…Mother’s Day. (It’s this Sunday-don’t forget!)
As I began thinking about the incredible gift of a mother with whom God has blessed me, truly my mom – Sue Hamilton, is a rare gem. In all my years of living, I’ve NEVER heard her say an unkind word, nor have I ever heard her complain. NOT.EVER. She’s taken care of my dad and our family for 43 years and her example of faith in my life is irreplaceable. She served selflessly.
Another mother figure I had in my life was my maternal grandmother, Loney Rebecca Hamilton. This simple and kind woman only had about a 4th grade education, yet she carried with her the most loving demeanor of Jesus and faith I’ve ever known. It’s because of her I know God. It’s because of her I love His Word and teach the Scriptures. She gave generously.  
I could recount over the many years the numerous other women God so graciously deposited into my broken, messed up life at the times when I most needed His touch
Margaret Byrd
Cindy Wright
Reva Nickell
Char Gray
LeighAnn McCoy
Anna Lee Wiles
Jane Wilson
Sherree Ruston
Marcia Chamblee
 Ms. Lois
Susan Davault
Jane Anne Smith
Rosie Stephens
Deanne Goodrich
Mary Boellner
Johnnie Mac Henry
Lynda Elliott
Ann Rice…the list goes on and on.
What these women gave me during times of life and ministry was not only wisdom, but confidence that the one on whom I depend- Christ alone, is all sufficient.  What my mom, grandmother, and the other scores of women left me was something all of us are leaving with every single person we touch and know- a LEGACY.
These women shared their legacy with me sacrificially.
Wherever I go, they go with me.
I read on twitter just this week, “an inheritance leaves something for someone. A legacy leaves something IN someone.”
Wow. IN someone.
There’s lots of someones out there for you, and for me.
It was Mother Teresa who said,  Let no one ever come to you without leaving better & happier. Be the loving expression of God's kindness, kindness in the face, kindness in the eyes,  kindness in your smile.”
How often are those better after coming to us?
As a daughter, aunt, cousin, sister, mentor, mentee, employee and friend I’ve often failed.
Yet my daily prayer, goal, ambition, motive and challenge is that the gifts I leave IN those around me will be an eternal legacy that points each to Jesus. It’s the only thing that will ever matter.
What legacy are you leaving IN those you know and love?

No comments:

Post a Comment